3 Days till Ride #2
DATE: Saturday, December 6th, 2014
START TIME: 9:30AM (Ride Mtg 9:20am)
PLACE: 300 Peters St, Atlanta, GA 30317 (U-Haul location) (Map Link)
RIDE TIME: 2 hrs
INDOOR BATHROOMS: U-Haul graciously allows us access to their bathrooms, so please leave cleaner than you found them; we don’t want to wear out our welcome. Indoor (warm) bathrooms are a huge plus!!!
IMPORTANT: Which group do you ride in? All Groups are based on what your typical overall average speed is on any given ride in Atlanta:
~ Group #1: 17 mph avg and higher
~ Group #2: 14 mph avg and higher
~ Group #3: 13 mph avg and below
RIDE TIMES vs DISTANCE
All Rides will be based on Ride Time…NOT distance. Actual miles ridden for each group will vary.
The Atlanta Winter Bike League kicks into gear (pun intended) in only 5 more days. If you were not one of the 150+ cyclists who experienced this very unique Series last year, then you need to come find out what attracted so many cyclists in its inaugural year.
This Series offers rides every other Saturday through March 2015 (see Schedule below). This way, you can participate in the Series and still ride in other group rides, club rides, etc…best of both worlds. We have 3 groups, so we can accommodate just about any cyclist. All rides are based on time, so everyone leaves together and gets back at the same time.
Unlike our 1st year, this season the Series is free. The only time there ‘may‘ be a fee is if we provide a SAG vehicle…which would only be the last 3 rides, since they are 4hr+ rides.
RIDING SERIES RULES
Please read the following guidelines very carefully. This Winter Series is a very structured, organized ride and is specifically designed to ride as a group. Habitual offenders and those unwilling to accept respectful correction are welcome to participate in other group rides. All cyclists (even you faster guys/gals) are welcome; you just need to adhere to the following Rules:
1. NO Sprinting: If you feel the need to sprint, please find another ride. We all know that it only takes one person to blow off the front, for the entire peloton to be split apart.
2. Steady Pace: Our Ride Leaders are responsible for setting the pace. When Ride Leaders rotate off the front, the same pace (at which they were riding) is expected to be maintained with the ‘new’ leaders at the front. Deliberate, sudden or abrupt jumps in speed are not allowed.
3. Double Pace line: The peloton is limited (at all times) to ride only 2-abreast, or more commonly called a double pace line. GA law limits cyclists (without an event permit) to ride 2-abreast. Only during rotations, will this be an exception.
4. Traffic Lights: Running traffic lights will not be tolerated. If part of your group is caught with the light turning red as you are approaching, you need to stop. You will have a chance to re-join your group.
5. Stop Signs: Running stops signs will not be tolerated. We will stop as a group and roll through as a group.
6. Rotating: No one is allowed to pull longer than 10 minutes at a time. This allows for everyone to rotate throughout the ride.
7. Mechanical Needs: If you have any type of mechanical, first signal that you are slowing down and make your way out of the road. All cyclists are responsible for any repairs (e.g. punctures, etc.) needed, however, other cyclists may offer their help. The peloton WILL stop and wait. Once the mechanical has been resolved, the entire group will start together.
8. Lack of Skill or Comfort: Professional coaching will be provided as a courtesy by ‘Coach Robert’ to anyone who may have a low confidence or skill level of riding in an organized, double pace line and/or being able to ride in a consistent, straight line, drafting, etc.
9. Tri Bikes: ALL cyclists are welcome, including those with tri bikes. Riding in the aero bars is only permitted when you are pulling at the front; all other times you must ride with your hands on the brakes.
Dec 6th (2hrs)
Dec 20th (2hrs 20 min)
Jan 3rd (2015) (2hrs 40min)
Jan 17th (3 hrs)
Jan 31st (3 hrs 20min)
Feb 14th (3hrs 40min)
Feb 28th (4hrs)
Mar 14th (4 hrs 20min)
Mar 28th (4hrs 40min)
See you on December 6th….