NEW: C Group Mini Ride Clinic. Dec 5th and Dec 19th, 8:45am-9:15am.
DATE: Saturday, Dec 5th, 2015
START TIME: 9:30AM (Ride Mtg 9:20am)
PLACE: 300 Peters St, Atlanta, GA 30317 (U-Haul location) (Map Link)
RIDE TIME: 2 hrs
INDOOR BATHROOMS: U-Haul graciously allows us access to their bathrooms, so please leave cleaner than you found them; we don’t want to wear out our welcome. Indoor (warm) bathrooms are a huge plus!!!
LAST MINUTE RIDE INFO: ALL updated ride info (e.g. weather delays/date change, etc) will be posted in 2 ways:
1. ‘FOLLOW’ this Blog site, and/or
2. ‘LIKE’ Atlanta WBL’s Facebook page.
IMPORTANT: Which group do you ride in? All Groups are based on what your typical overall average speed is on any given ride in Atlanta:
~ Group A: 19 mph avg and higher
~ Group B: 15-18 mph avg
~ Group C: 12-14 mph avg
~ Group D: 12 mph avg and lower (we will start this group as soon as we get more Ride Leaders)
NOTE: These are NOT the average speeds we will be riding. These are to determine which group you need to ride in
RIDE TIMES vs DISTANCE
All Rides will be based on Ride Time…NOT distance. Actual miles ridden for each group will vary.
This Series offers rides every other Saturday through March 2015 (see Schedule below). This way, you can participate in the Series and still ride in other group rides, club rides, etc…best of both worlds. We have 3 groups, so we can accommodate just about any cyclist. All rides are based on time, so everyone leaves together and gets back at the same time.
RIDING SERIES RULES
Please read the following guidelines very carefully. This Winter Series is a very structured, organized ride and is specifically designed to ride as a group. Habitual offenders and those unwilling to accept respectful correction are welcome to participate in other group rides. All cyclists (even you faster guys/gals) are welcome; you just need to adhere to the following Rules:
1. NO Sprinting: If you feel the need to sprint, please find another ride. We all know that it only takes one person to blow off the front, for the entire peloton to be split apart.
2. Steady Pace: Our Ride Leaders are responsible for setting the pace. When Ride Leaders rotate off the front, the same pace (at which they were riding) is expected to be maintained with the ‘new’ leaders at the front. Deliberate, sudden or abrupt jumps in speed will not be tolerated.
3. Double Pace line: The peloton is limited (at all times) to ride only 2-abreast, or more commonly called a double pace line. GA law limits cyclists (without an event permit) to ride 2-abreast. Only during rotations, will this be an exception.
4. Traffic Lights: Running traffic lights will not be tolerated. If part of your group is caught with the light turning red as you are approaching, you need to stop. You will have a chance to re-join your group.
5. Stop Signs: Running stops signs will not be tolerated. We will stop as a group and roll through as a group.
6. Rotating: No one is allowed to pull longer than 10 minutes at a time. This allows for everyone the opportunity to learn to pull at the front, rotate positions and gain confidence.
7. Mechanical Needs: If you have any type of mechanical, first signal that you are slowing down and make your way out of the road. All cyclists are responsible for any repairs (e.g. punctures, etc.) needed, however, other cyclists may offer their help. The peloton WILL stop and wait. Once the mechanical has been resolved, the entire group will start together.
8. Lack of Skill or Comfort: Professional coaching will be provided as a courtesy by ‘Coach Robert’ to anyone who may have a low confidence or skill level of riding in an organized, double pace line and/or being able to ride in a consistent, straight line, drafting, etc. Unlimited professional coaching tips!!!
9. Tri Bikes: ALL cyclists are welcome, including those with tri bikes. Riding in the aero bars is only permitted when you are pulling at the front; all other times you must ride with your hands on the brakes.
10. Ear Phones: No earbuds, ear phones, etc. are allowed during our rides. If you can’t ride without them, you are most welcome to visit other group rides.
Ride #3- Sat, Dec 19th
Ride #4- Sat, Jan 2nd
Ride #5- Sat, Jan 16th
Ride #6- Sat, Jan 30th
Ride #7- Sat, Feb 13th
Ride #8- Sat, Feb 27th
Ride #9- Sat, Mar 12th
Ride #10- Sat, Mar 26th
Depending upon weather, we have moved the start time back an hour and have re-scheduled ride dates. Hey, we are at the mercy of Mother Nature.
See you on December 5th….