Season FIVE of the Atlanta WBL (Winter Bike League) is fast approaching.
This Series is designed to create a vehicle (pun intended) where cyclists can ride all winter in a very controlled environment. NO surprises. NO hammerhead surges, sprints, so there’s NO surprises. If this will be your first time with us, please familiarize yourself with the Ride Rules, as these are what has made us incredibly successful AND cyclists know exactly what to expect…on every ride in every group.
DATE: Saturday, Nov 18th, 2017
START TIME: 9:30AM (Ride Mtg 9:15am)
PLACE: 300 Peters St, Atlanta, GA 30317 (U-Haul location) (Map Link)
RIDE TIME: 1hr 20min
OVERALL AVERAGE FOR RIDE #1:
This Series is based on ride time, not distance. The overall average is controlled by our Ride Leaders. For Ride #1, the averages will be:
A group: 15mph
B group: 13mph
C group: 10mph
The overall average will increase by 0.5 mph for each individual ride. For example, Ride #2 for A group will be 15.5 mph, Ride #3 16.0 mph.
INDOOR BATHROOMS: U-Haul graciously allows us access to their bathrooms, so please leave cleaner than you found them; we don’t want to wear out our welcome. Indoor (warm) bathrooms are a huge plus!!!
LAST MINUTE RIDE INFO: ALL updated ride info (e.g. weather delays/date change, etc) will be posted in 3 ways:
1. Join our Email List. Just send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting to be added to our List. This is the ‘easiest’ way!!! Make sure our email doesn’t land in your Junk folder…
2. ‘LIKE’ Atlanta WBL’s Facebook page. If you are a die-hard Facebook fan, you know what to do…
3. ‘FOLLOW’ this Blog. You’ll get an email anytime we make a post. Help us to break past the 1,000th follower. Look for the black ‘FOLLOW’ box on your screen and then click…
FUTURE RIDE DATES/TIMES
Here are the remaining ride dates and ride times for this Series:
Saturday, Dec 2nd / 1 hr 40 min
Saturday, Dec 16th / 2 hrs
Saturday, Dec 30th / 2 hrs 20 min
Saturday, Jan 13th / 2 hrs 40 min
Saturday, Jan 27th / 3 hrs
Saturday, Feb 10th / 3 hrs 20 min
Saturday, Feb 24th / 3 hrs 40 min
Saturday, Mar 10th / 4 hrs
Saturday, Mar 24th / 4 hrs 20 min
IMPORTANT: Which group do you ride in? All Groups are based on what your typical overall average speed is on any given ride in Atlanta:
~ Group A: 19 mph avg and higher
~ Group B1: 17-18 mph avg
~ Group B2: 15-16 mph avg
~ Group C: 12.5-14 mph avg
<<<NOTE:>>> These are “NOT” the actual speeds we will be riding for the first few rides; these are ONLY to determine which group you need to ride in. Like the ride time, ride averages will slowly increase over the Series, ending with the averages above.
RIDING SERIES RULES
Please read the following guidelines very carefully. This Winter Series is a very structured, organized ride and is specifically designed to ride as a group. Habitual offenders and those unwilling to accept respectful correction are welcome to participate in other group rides. All cyclists (even you faster guys/gals) are welcome; you just need to adhere to the following Rules:
1. NO Sprinting: If you feel the need to sprint, please find another ride. We all know that it only takes one person to blow off the front, for the entire peloton to be split apart.
2. Steady Pace: Our Ride Leaders are responsible for setting the pace. When Ride Leaders rotate off the front, the same effort level (at which they were riding) is expected to be maintained with the ‘new’ leaders at the front. Deliberate, sudden or abrupt jumps in speed will not be tolerated.
3. Double Pace line: The peloton is limited (at all times) to ride only 2-abreast, or more commonly called a double pace line. GA law limits cyclists (without an event permit) to ride 2-abreast. Only during rotations, will this be an exception.
4. Traffic Lights: Running traffic lights will not be tolerated. If part of your group is caught with the light turning red as you are approaching, you need to stop. You will have a chance to re-join your group.
5. Stop Signs: Running stops signs will not be tolerated. We will stop as a group and roll through as a group.
6. Rotating: No one is allowed to pull longer than 5 minutes at a time. This allows for everyone the opportunity to learn to pull at the front, rotate positions and gain confidence.
7. Mechanical Needs: If you have any type of mechanical, first signal that you are slowing down and make your way out of the road. All cyclists are responsible for any repairs (e.g. punctures, etc.) needed, however, other cyclists may offer their help. The peloton WILL stop and wait. Once the mechanical has been resolved, the entire group will start together.
8. Lack of Skill or Comfort: Professional coaching will be provided as a courtesy by ‘Coach Robert’ to anyone who may have a low confidence or skill level of riding in an organized, double pace line and/or being able to ride in a consistent, straight line, drafting, etc. Unlimited professional coaching tips!!!
9. Tri Bikes: ALL cyclists are welcome, including those with tri bikes. Riding in the aero bars is only permitted when you are pulling at the front; all other times you must ride with your hands on the brakes.
10. Ear Phones: No earbuds, ear phones, etc. are allowed during our rides. If you can’t ride without them, you are most welcome to visit other group rides.
See ya on Saturday, November 18th for Season Five…