Please do not park in front of street-front businesses, especially the barber shop and restaurant (opposite side of street of U-Haul). There is PLENTY of parking at the bridge. Please don’t block U-Haul driveway entrance before or after the ride.
RIDE LEADERS NEEDED— we are growing and are in need of more Ride Leaders for all our Groups. Solid bike handling skills and a desire to help/give back are required. Send email to email@example.com for more info.
This Series is designed to create a vehicle (pun intended) where cyclists can ride all winter in a very controlled environment. NO surprises. NO hammerhead surges, sprints, so there’s NO surprises. If this will be your first time with us, please familiarize yourself with the Ride Rules, as these are what has made us incredibly successful AND cyclists know exactly what to expect…on every ride in every group.
DATE: Saturday, Dec 3rd, 2016
START TIME: 9:30AM (Ride Mtg 9:15am)
PLACE: 300 Peters St, Atlanta, GA 30317 (U-Haul location) (Map Link)
RIDE TIME: 1-hr 40-min
OVERALL AVERAGE FOR RIDE #2:
This Series is based on ride time, not distance. The overall average is controlled by our Ride Leaders. For Ride #1, the averages will be:
A group: 15.5 mph avg
B group: 13.5 mph avg
C group: 10.5 mph avg
INDOOR BATHROOMS: U-Haul graciously allows us access to their bathrooms, so please leave cleaner than you found them; we don’t want to wear out our welcome. Indoor (warm) bathrooms are a huge plus!!!
LAST MINUTE RIDE INFO: ALL updated ride info (e.g. weather delays/date change, etc) will be posted in 2 ways:
1. Join our Email List. Just send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting to be added to our List. This is the ‘easiest’ way!!! Make sure our email doesn’t land in your Junk folder…
2. ‘LIKE’ Atlanta WBL’s Facebook page. If you are a die-hard Facebook fan, you know what to do…
3. ‘FOLLOW’ this Blog. You’ll get an email anytime we make a post. Help us to break past the 1,000th follower. Look for the black ‘FOLLOW’ box on your screen and then click…
IMPORTANT: Which group do you ride in? All Groups are based on what your typical overall average speed is on any given ride in Atlanta:
~ Group A: 19 mph avg and higher
~ Group B1: 17-18 mph avg
~ Group B2: 15-16 mph avg
~ Group C: 12.5-14 mph avg
<<<NOTE:>>> These are “NOT” the actual speeds we will be riding for the first few rides; these are to determine which group you need to ride in. Like the ride time, ride averages will slowly increase over the Series, ending with the averages above.
RIDING SERIES RULES
Please read the following guidelines very carefully. This Winter Series is a very structured, organized ride and is specifically designed to ride as a group. Habitual offenders and those unwilling to accept respectful correction are welcome to participate in other group rides. All cyclists (even you faster guys/gals) are welcome; you just need to adhere to the following Rules:
1. NO Sprinting: If you feel the need to sprint, please find another ride. We all know that it only takes one person to blow off the front, for the entire peloton to be split apart.
2. Steady Pace: Our Ride Leaders are responsible for setting the pace. When Ride Leaders rotate off the front, the same effort level (at which they were riding) is expected to be maintained with the ‘new’ leaders at the front. Deliberate, sudden or abrupt jumps in speed will not be tolerated.
3. Double Pace line: The peloton is limited (at all times) to ride only 2-abreast, or more commonly called a double pace line. GA law limits cyclists (without an event permit) to ride 2-abreast. Only during rotations, will this be an exception.
4. Traffic Lights: Running traffic lights will not be tolerated. If part of your group is caught with the light turning red as you are approaching, you need to stop. You will have a chance to re-join your group.
5. Stop Signs: Running stops signs will not be tolerated. We will stop as a group and roll through as a group.
6. Rotating: No one is allowed to pull longer than 5 minutes at a time. This allows for everyone the opportunity to learn to pull at the front, rotate positions and gain confidence.
7. Mechanical Needs: If you have any type of mechanical, first signal that you are slowing down and make your way out of the road. All cyclists are responsible for any repairs (e.g. punctures, etc.) needed, however, other cyclists may offer their help. The peloton WILL stop and wait. Once the mechanical has been resolved, the entire group will start together.
8. Lack of Skill or Comfort: Professional coaching will be provided as a courtesy by ‘Coach Robert’ to anyone who may have a low confidence or skill level of riding in an organized, double pace line and/or being able to ride in a consistent, straight line, drafting, etc. Unlimited professional coaching tips!!!
9. Tri Bikes: ALL cyclists are welcome, including those with tri bikes. Riding in the aero bars is only permitted when you are pulling at the front; all other times you must ride with your hands on the brakes.
10. Ear Phones: No earbuds, ear phones, etc. are allowed during our rides. If you can’t ride without them, you are most welcome to visit other group rides.
FUTURE RIDE DATES/TIMES
Here are the remaining ride dates and ride times for this Series:
Saturday, Dec 17th / 2 hrs
Saturday, Dec 31st / 2 hrs 20 min
Saturday, Jan 14th / 2 hrs 40 min
Saturday, Jan 28th / 3 hrs
Saturday, Feb 11th / 3 hrs 20 min
Saturday, Feb 25th / 3 hrs 40 min
Saturday, Mar 11th / 4 hrs
Saturday, Mar 25th / 4 hrs 20 min
See ya THIS Saturday…